12/31/2007

Rebecca's Delicious Butternut Squash Soup

Prep time: 30 minutes (a lot, but worth it)
Cook time (roughly 2 hours)
Serves (a whole lot, great for freezing)

Ingredients vary with what's available and how I feel, but roughly:
1 large butternut squash
2 large onions
1 head garlic
5 carrots
4 sweet potatoes
2 parsnips (turnips work well, too)
12oz vegetable broth (homemade is best, but who has time?)
1 bunch cilantro
fresh rosemary, thyme, oregano (whatever they have, but not sage and I don't use basil)
any spices that sound good. I use:
chili powder
cumin and cumin seeds
coriander, coriander seeds
paprika
mustard powder, mustard seeds
fennel seeds
A huge pot
about 4 extra cups water
Lots of salt and lots of pepper

First, get Hugh to cut the squash into quarters, so you don't cut off a finger. Microwave the squash on hi till it's soft and burns you as you scoop it out, into a bowl. While the squash is cooking; dice the onion, carrot and mince the garlic. Saute till browned in as large a pot as you can find, using olive oil. Chop the sweet potato and turnips, add to the pot and brown. Add the squash and the spices (but I keep adding spices to taste as I cook). When vegetables look juicy and golden, add vegetable stock and water. Bring to a boil, then simmer mostly covered for about 30 minutes (this softens the vegetables). Then uncover and cook down, skimming the gunk out and tasting for spice adjustment every so often. Make sure nothing sticks to the bottom (or let it stick a little, then scrape; that's a trick my dad taught me).
Once the soup has boiled down and is mostly mush, blend with an immersion blender. If you have no such instrument, blend the soup in a regular old blender, in batches (more time consuming, but works as well). I like to top the soup with caramelized mushrooms (white will do fine) and onions, and serve hot with crusty bread on the side (and a crusty boyfriend, who is tired of waiting for dinner).

Sorry I am not as specific as you'd want; I just cook that way:-). If you need any other directions, just call and I'll help you as much as possible.
Coming next: Rebecca's Famous (in her head) Chili

No comments: